Following a great start with the Spiritual Direction I: Art of Accompaniment course that took place June 24-28 and various courses and workshops that Father Thomas Acklin, O.S.B., and Father Boniface Hicks, O.S.B., have offered in locations across the country, Saint Vincent Seminary’s Institute for Ministry Formation will offer its first online spiritual formation courses in the upcoming fall 2019 semester. These courses are available to anyone. They will be taught with spiritual direction students specifically in mind and make up a part of the Spiritual Direction program. Successful students will receive a letter of program completion. They are 3 credits and will follow the Saint Vincent academic calendar.
Registration deadline: Aug 23, 2019
Registration will be limited to 15 students per course.
Time: Thursday evenings 6:30-9pm ET (interactive video conference on Zoom)
- The course will address the ancient practice of praying with Sacred Scripture, traditionally known as Lectio Divina or “Sacred Reading.”
- It will provide an overview of the canon of Sacred Scripture and some important considerations for understanding biblical texts such as the literary genre, literary and historical contexts, and the benefit of accessing the meaning of particular terms in the original languages.
- We will cover fundamental aspects of the Church’s teaching on Sacred Scripture and its interpretation.
- The majority of the course will focus on methodologies for and the practice of praying Sacred Scripture.
- Evaluation will consist of short written assignments, an exam, and a final paper.