This course is available to anyone. It will be taught with spiritual direction students specifically in mind and make up a part of the Spiritual Direction program. See the program description for more details.
It is conducted online through a combination of interactive online video conferenced meetings in the evening, reading assignments, and asynchronous online discussions and videos through the Schoology educational software platform.
It is 2 credits and will follow the Saint Vincent academic calendar.
Registration deadline: Jan 1, 2022
IMSD601 - SD1: Art of Accompaniment
Taught by Father Boniface Hicks, OSB
Time: Tuesday evenings 7:30pm-8:45pm ET (interactive video conference on Zoom) and one pre-recorded lecture each week.
The participants will learn the foundational dynamics of spiritual direction through reading, lectures, and discussions. SD 1 will serve as a foundation for those who wish to continue learning the practice of spiritual direction. It is also a stand-alone course for those who wish to learn the “art of accompaniment”.
- The role of Spiritual Direction in the Church
- The need for Spiritual Direction in our time
- Our one-on-one relationship with God
- One-on-one human relationships
• The interior life
• The importance of vulnerability
• A listening that reveals and heals
• Communicating the Father’s Love
• Introduction to development in the life of prayer
• Basic psychological insights for spiritual direction
- The qualities of the spiritual director
- Introduction to supervision and self-awareness
- Saints for spiritual directors
Note: this is a required course for the Spiritual Direction program, but all are welcome to take it for credit or to audit. This course is offered for 2 credits.