Course Number: IMTH-729-01
Course Title: Introduction to Gregorian Chant
Taught by: Fr. Stephen Concordia, O.S.B.
Course Date: June 28, 2021 to July 2, 2021
1:00pm - 3:00 pm Welcome and Registration
2:00pm - 5:30pm Workshop begins
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
9:00am - 11:30am Class
2:30pm - 5:30pm Class
7:00pm - 8:00pm Class
9:00am - 11:30 am Class
Number of Credits: 2
Course description: The ancient roots of Western Christian chant reach as far back as the liturgical gatherings of the earliest Christian communities. Two thousand years later, it continues to fascinate and inspire people everywhere. This course will explore the chant’s place in the life of the Church through the following topics:
1. Gregorian chant: “sung prayer”;
2. Historical overview of Gregorian chant
3. The Gregorian repertoire: cantor, celebrant, schola, assembly
4. The relevance of Gregorian chant
5. The musical style of the chant: "melodic-verbal style"
6. Chant notation and its evolution
7. Gregorian chant: the expressive power of the Word
Introduction to Gregorian Chant is open to all without previous training. It will include singing and/or listening throughout the course and may be taken for credit or for audit.
Click here to REGISTER TODAY!